April 19, 2011

An Angel with Neurosurgical Hands

I called Dr. Duncan's office and took the first appointment available. I walked in his office, shook his hand and knew almost instantly that this was no happenstance. He put my films up on his x-ray illuminator. He studied them for a minute or so and turned to me and said "I can fix this". I thought my heart would leap out of my chest. I could not believe that there was actually someone that was willing and able to help me. I gave him the long list of my symptoms. His assessment was not exactly what I expected. For the first time, a doctor was actually able to separate my symptoms into more than one problem. He explained that the surgery would resolve the headaches, nausea, dizziness, difficulty swallowing, and possibly the fatigue. But what about the pain in my spine and all my joints and muscles? He explained that those where the symptoms of something else. I was a little bit disappointed, but at the same time relieved. Would my constant excruciating headaches finally come to an end? What would that feel like? To be honest, it was very hard to comprehend. I could not remember life without them. The doctor warned me that this was the most painful surgery that he performed. Nothing could have prepared me for what would happen next.

No comments:

Post a Comment